Having a working microphone is essential for communication and strategy in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, especially in multiplayer modes. However, some players have reported issues with their microphone not working in-game.
This can be frustrating, but the good news is there are a few things you can try to get your mic working again. Here is a step-by-step guide on troubleshooting and fixing a microphone not working in COD: Modern Warfare.
Step 1: Check Your Microphone Settings in Windows
The first thing to check is your microphone settings in Windows. Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound. On the Recording tab, right click your microphone and select Properties.
Make sure your microphone is set as the Default Device and the levels are turned up. Additionally, ensure that your mic is not disabled and that all system exclusions are unchecked.
- Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound
- In Recording tab, right click microphone & select Properties
- Set microphone as Default Device
- Ensure mic is not disabled
- Turn up mic levels
- Uncheck any system exclusions
Step 2: Check In-Game Audio Settings
If your mic works properly in Windows, the issue may be with the in-game audio settings. In COD: Modern Warfare, go to the Options menu and then the Audio tab. Check that your microphone is the selected Default Communication Device.
Also, make sure Voice Chat is enabled and that the volume levels are turned up for both voice chat record level and voice chat playback level. Make adjustments if needed.
- Go to Options menu > Audio tab in game
- Set microphone as Default Communication Device
- Enable Voice Chat option
- Turn up voice chat record level
- Turn up voice chat playback level
Step 3: Disable Exclusive Mode on Other Apps
Some third party apps can interfere with in-game microphones by putting the mic in exclusive mode. Close any apps using your microphone like Steam, Discord, OBS, Elgato Game Capture, etc. After closing them, relaunch Call of Duty and check if your mic starts working.
- Close any apps using the mic – Steam, Discord, OBS etc
- Relaunch Call of Duty Modern Warfare
- Check if the mic starts working properly
Step 4: Update Audio Drivers
Outdated audio drivers can also cause mic issues. Update your sound card drivers to the latest available version and then test your mic again. You can search for driver updates through Device Manager in Windows.
- Search for audio driver updates via Device Manager
- Install latest sound card drivers
- Test microphone again after updating drivers
Step 5: Check Cable Connections
As simple as it may seem, sometimes microphone or headset cables can come loose. Check that all connectors for your microphone device are firmly plugged in. Make sure there is no damage to any cables as well.
- Ensure mic & headset cables are firmly plugged in
- Check for any damage to cables
- Replace cables if necessary
Step 6: Reboot the Game
If you are still having issues, try fully rebooting the game. Close Call of Duty: Modern Warfare completely and then launch it again after a minute. This may reset any audio issues that were occurring.
- Fully close Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
- Relaunch the game after 1 minute
- See if reboot resolves audio issues
Following these troubleshooting steps should resolve most instances of microphone not working during matches. With good communication being so pivotal, make sure your mic is functioning properly with these simple fixes.
Getting voice chat back online will have you strategizing and gunning down enemies in no time.