Are you someone who is tired of unwanted entries and misspellings in your reports and surveys? Then maybe it’s time to switch to Drop-down lists. Now making drop-down menus might sound like a daunting task, but it is not. And in this article, we will tell you all about How To Insert Drop Down In Google Docs?
Drop-downs are among the most popular tools among people who make surveys and reports with specific answers.
Using a drop-down list eradicates the chances of mistakes.
Meaning if you give people only the right choices to choose from, you ensure that there are no mistakes whatsoever in your reports.
And on top of that, they also make things faster.
How To Insert Drop Down In Google Docs?
As we all know, Google Docs is one of the best tools available in the market.
It is free, easy to use, and allows you to do a lot of things with it. And creating drop-down menus is one of them.
The drop-downs can be easily inserted into a google doc. All you need to do is head to the document you want to add drop-down. Then locate the Insert menu available in the header menu of your document and click on it. Another menu will open, in which you can find the drop-down option. When you click on that, you will be given two options, Preset Drop Down and Customized, to choose from.
Before moving on to how to insert these Drop Drops in your Google Docs, let’s understand why they are necessary.
So, the more you understand your need, the easier the process will be for you.
Types of Drop Downs on Google Doc
Google Docs majorly offers two different kinds of drop-down lists. The first one is called a Preset Drop Down.
As the name suggests, these listicles have preset menus. Meaning they come equipped with choices to Indicate Project Status and Review Status.
The second set of drop-downs is called Customized. Which, as you have already guessed, can be used for various purposes.
Such drop-downs are generally used by people to answer a question, pick a menu, choose a location, etc.
In this article, we will be showing you the different methods to imply for the two types of drop-down menus.
So, read the entire article if you want to learn a simple way to make your reports, surveys, and questionnaires more effective.
How to insert Preset Drop down in google docs
This is one of the best suitable options for people who prepare collaborative reports, involving people from different office departments.
We all know that such reports need to be updated from time to time.
But how do you communicate with each and every member of your team to keep a tab on the Progress or review of your company’s report?
This is where drop-down menus like that of Google docs come in.
The Preset drop-down menus on Google docs are very helpful, and inserting them into your document is Simple.
Follow the steps below to learn how you can insert a preset drop-down in your Google Doc.
- Open the document in which you want to insert a drop-down list. Then locate the pinpoint location on your doc where you want to insert the drop-down.
- Once you have done that, go to the header menus of your document and click on Insert Button.
- As you do that, a drop-down menu will open containing different elements you can insert into your doc. Look for the option of drop-down in that list.
- When you click on that option, another menu on your screen will appear. In that menu, you have to choose what kind of menu you want.
- Since we are going for the Project status and Review status options, you must click on either of them as per your requirement. And not on the New drop-down option.
- Once you do that, a small menu on your document will appear.
- The default message on the menu will read Not Started. But when you click on it, the drop-down menu will open. And it shall have other options like Blocked, In Progress, and Completed.
- Once you share this report with your colleagues, they will use this menu to indicate its status, which will, in return, make it easier for others to understand the Progress of the same.
- Also, if you want to add another menu to the pre-existing ones. Or make a change in the same; you can click on the last option that reads Add/Edit options.
- The review reports also have a similar process. Only this time you click on the Review status option on the drop-down menu.
- When you do that, a menu will appear on your screen with a default message similar to that of the Project Status. However, when you click on the menu, you will find options different from that present in the previous menu.
- These different options will come in handy for the reviewing person, who would be able to indicate the status of the review just by clicking on an option present on the drop-down menu.
So, now you know how to add pre existing drop-down menus on your documents.
This will surely help you get work done more efficiently.
And will simultaneously improve the communication between your team.
Eventually leading to work getting done in a more effective way.
How to insert Customized Drop down in google docs
The best-fit things are always customized. And that is how your surveys and questionnaires should always be, customized.
That is why google doc provides you with the option of doing just that.
It gives you a unique choice to make drop-downs that are to your liking.
Meaning that you can now choose the options you want people to choose from.
So that there are minimal errors and a higher percentage of accuracy in your survey/questionnaire.
Below is the process you need to follow in order to have customized drop-downs in your google docs.
- Once again, open the document in your Google Doc where you want to insert a customized drop-down.
- Then, on that document click on the insert button on your header menu like before and select the drop-down option.
- Only this time you don’t have to select any of the preset options in the form of Project or Review. Instead, click on the New Drop-Down option.
- As you do that, a new dialogue box will appear on your screen. From there, you can make a new category of drop-downs of your own.
- In that option, you will be given the authority to add or remove the number of choices you want people to have. So that you can give your audience just the suitable options to choose from.
- You can also give this configuration a name and save the changes you make. This will allow you to use it later on in your document, wherever the need may be. However, the customized options and menus will only be applicable to the current document only.
- The menu will appear on your screen just like the preset menus did and will open when you click on it with the different sets of customized options that you have created for your target audience.
So, this is how you can prepare a perfect questionnaire for yourself which will have no room for error.
When given only appropriate options to choose from, the chances of mistakes almost drop to zero.
Hence customizable drop-down menus are the best choice for your requirement.
And Google Docs allows you to insert them in your document easily as well.
Drop-downs are here to save you the extra effort of correcting your surveys after a long ardent day of work.
They will give your audience just the suitable options to choose from, which will eradicate any chances of mistakes in the process of filling in the information.
However, at first, the task of creating a drop-down might sound a little scary and challenging.
But worry not because Google Docs has got you covered.
This Google tool has become an essential thing in today’s time.
If you are part of a workspace, then knowing the google tool inside out is very important.
And knowing how to insert drop-down menus in your document is essential.
Following the simple process mentioned in the article, you can create new surveys and questionnaires with customizable options that will make your work simpler and more manageable.
Remember, drop downs make data entry and analysis easier for your people.
So, with Google Docs, never shy away from adding a drop-down where need be.
And your document will be more error-free and easy to read.