Page breaks are the best tools to imply when you are trying to produce a well-structured document. They give you the freedom to choose where the content on your page ends and where the new content begins. Want to know “how to remove page break in google docs?”
However, it happens sometimes that you might decide to remove that page break further down the line. Now, this is easy to do with Microsoft Word software.
But the same can’t be said for Google Doc users.
Just follow this step-by-step guide.
How to remove the page break in google docs?
Now, if you have ever tried removing a page break from a google doc, then chances are that you have had a mild panic attack since there are no direct options to do that.
Although, that doesn’t mean there are no ways to do that in Google Docs. It’s just that you don’t know about them as yet.
To begin with, there are two ways in total to remove a page break from your google doc; (1) Removing page breaks using the backspace/delete key, or (2) Removing page breaks using the “Pageless” view. And both of them are important to know as they come with their own conditions.
So, without further ado, let’s dive into it.
Removing page breaks in Google docs using delete/backspace key:
This is one of the easiest methods to delete a page break in Google Docs. Just follow the instructions listed below, and you can eliminate the annoying page breaks.
1. Open the google doc that needs page breaks to be removed.
2. Once you have done that, simply click before the first word of the paragraph after your page break.
3. As the cursor appears before that word, press Backspace or Delete on Mac.
4. This should make your text immediately follow the previous paragraph. And now ample space shall appear between the two of them.
However, you might require to press the Back Space/Delete buttons multiple times to ensure that there is no additional space before or after the page break.
5. In an alternate attempt to remove the page break, you can follow the same steps, albeit from a different viewpoint. This time you can click on the final paragraph before the page break.
6. Then just press the Delete button on your windows device or Fn+Delete on your Mac. And the extra space between the two paragraphs shall vanish.
7. Don’t forget to repeat the action several times to eradicate any extra space. Your page break will now be gone! Vanished from the face of your document.
Does this feel too good to be true?
Can your problem really be solved this easily?
Technically yes, removing a page break from a google doc is this easy… if you know where they are.
But if you don’t, then the steps above are not for you. To remove page breaks from pages where you are unaware of the exact locations of your page breaks, you must follow the process listed below.
Deleting page breaks in Google Docs using pageless view:
Google docs may have many features that distinguish them from Microsoft Word.
But it doesn’t have a dedicated paragraph market.
Hence you cannot tell where a page break exists in the doc with the naked eye.
This doesn’t mean there is no way to find out the page’s position breaks at all.
Only it’s not as straightforward as it might be in a Word doc.
There is still an option that allows you to locate all your page breaks, and it is called a Pageless view.
To access this option, you need to follow the instructions given below:
1. Head to the document of your choice and click on the File menu in the header section of your document.
2. When you click on it, a list of options will open. From those options, you have to select the Page Setup option.
3. This will open a dialogue box in which you are supposed to choose the option called Pageless.
4. Once your Pageless view loads, you will find that it no longer has pages. Instead, it is a long continuous page. And any breaks within the document will be marked by a dotted line and will also read as “Page Break.”
5. To remove this break, you can use one of the two methods. You can either click ahead of the Page Break, and press Delete on Windows or Fn+Delete on your mac.
6. Alternatively, you can also click after the break and press the backspace or delete button on your mac. And the unwanted space between your paragraphs will be gone.
7. Now, you can restore your previous page settings by clicking on the File option. Then go to page setup and click “Pages” to restore the default setting.
The only drawback of the Pageless mode is that you cannot insert a page break or a session break in this mode of Google Docs. You will be required to return to the normal way in order to do that.
Using section breaks.
If you don’t want to go through the hassle of finding and then removing the page breaks, we have a perfect solution for you.
Instead of using page breaks in your documents, you can start using section breaks. These serve the same purpose as the page break.
But there is a catch, unlike page breaks which are not visible, you can choose to view or hide a section break in your document. Let us show you how that’s done.
Inserting section breaks:
1. Open your dedicated document in which you want to insert a “break”, and then head on to the Insert option.
2. There, you will find the Break option. Hover over it, and you will find a new dialogue box with the option Section Box (next page).
3. Click on this option, and the section break will be inserted into your document. And your new paragraph will automatically start from the new page.
View Section breaks:
Once you have inserted the section breaks, it’s time to turn on their visibility.
1. Head on to the View option and click on it.
2. In the dropdown menu, look for Show Section Breaks option and check it.
3. Your document will have a dotted line visible from where you inserted a section break.
Now that you know how to make use of Section Breaks. Let us learn how easy it is to delete them because, after all, that is what you want to do, right?
So, to delete the section breaks, you will follow the simple procedure listed below.
1. Open the file in question and head to the part where Section Break is inserted.
2. Then you can either: click on the paragraph before the break or the first para after the break.
3. Press Delete/ Fn+Delete, respectively, on Windows and Mac devices if you have chosen the paragraph above the section break. And the additional space between the two paragraphs shall vanish.
4. You can press the Back Space on Windows or the Delete button on your Mac book if you choose to eradicate the break from the paragraph after it.
5. All in all, either of the methods shall help you remove the unwanted breaks between your paragraph, giving you complete control of your Google Doc.
Learning how to remove excessive breaks or spaces in your documents is essential to make them look exactly the way you want them to.
This becomes all the more critical when you have to print your document. Unwanted page breaks and section breaks can make your document look lengthy, with blank spaces in between.
Hence, learning how to remove the page breaks and section breaks in Google docs becomes crucial to ensure you don’t end up hampering your document’s structure.